Some of the definitions of Research are:
- Redman and Mory define research as a “systematized effort to gain new knowledge”.
- Some people consider research as a movement, a movement from known to unknown. It is actually a voyage to discovery.
Research refers to the systematic method consisting of
- Enunciating the problem,
- Formulating a hypothesis,
- Collecting the fact or data,
- Analyzing the facts, and
- Reaching certain conclusions either in the form of solutions towards the concerned problem or in certain generals for some theoretical formulation.
Marketing research is a critical part of such a Market intelligence system; it helps to improve management decision making by providing relevant, accurate, & timely information.
Thus, we can say that marketing research is the function that links the
- Customer, and
- The public to the marketer through information
In the nutshell we see that marketing research specifies
- The information required to address these issues,
- Designs the method for collecting information,
- Manages and implements the data collection process, analyses,
- Communicates the findings and their implications Intelligent use of Research Tools is the key to business achievement
- Systematic Approach
Research is a thorough, orderly, organized, efficient and logical investigation of an area of knowledge or of a problem. In the broadest sense of the word, the definition of research includes any gathering of data, information and facts for the advancement of knowledge