Let us begin by looking at the dictionary meaning of manager
- A person who has control or direction of an institution, business, etc… or a part, division or phase of it
- A person who manages: the manager of our track team
- A person who controls and manipulates resources and expenditure, as of a household
From the above definition we can see that a manager is manages a workforce and controls the resources and utilizes them in the best possible manner.
A manager is responsible for planning and directing the work of a group of individuals, monitoring their work and taking corrective actions when necessary.
The concepts of manager and managing are intertwined. The term management refers to the process of using organizational resources to achieve organizational objectives through the functions of planning, organizing and staffing, leading, and controlling.
These functions represent the broad framework.
In large companies management is basically divided into three tiers: upper or senior management, mid-management and lower management. Lower management includes managers who operate at basic levels of commerce or function. Mid-level management oversees lower-management and generates reports for senior management. Senior or upper management commonly consists of a board of directors or shareholders who own the company and are responsible for making key decisions that affect the company.
Let us look at some of the functions as a manager
- To motivate people and bring out the best in them
- To supervise the activities of individuals
- To co-ordinate the activities to ensure all are working towards a common organizational goal
- Provide regular feedback to both owners and the workers